AltText

RFU

19 Sep 2019 | 6 min |

The 1945 Richmond-Blackheath merge

This weekend marks the 74th anniversary of a season-long merge between two of England’s oldest open rugby clubs, Blackheath and Richmond.

Two of England's oldest 'open' rugby clubs met each other twice in National League One this season, but in 1945 they fielded a combined team for the first time against Northampton.

It was the first match for both clubs since the conclusion of the Second World War, and although the Londoners were beaten 17-5 at the Athletic Ground, the event acted as a return to normality as peace time rugby in Britain gathered momentum.

AltText

The merge came as a direct result of war; Blackheath’s then home ground Rectory Field had been used as an anti-aircraft balloon site, part of the defences of London, and it suffered severe damage rendering the pitch unplayable and grandstand unrecognisable.

Repairs to the grandstand and surrounding premises were estimated to cost upwards of £3,000, and club members were reminded of their duty to insure rugby would resume in the not too distant future.

The ‘Cecil Williamson Memorial Fund’, set up in remembrance of Blackheath’s Honorary Secretary who passed away the day after war was declared, was created to raise the capital needed to get the club back on its feet.

And a letter addressed to club members in March 1945, which also appeared in the Sunday Times on 14 January, outlined the difficulties that had to be surmounted before Blackheath could resume its activities.

It urged readers to donate what they could to the club, for repairs, new equipment and general maintenance, as well as for reserves that would help tie them over during the initial re-opening period.

It was for these reasons, and on the endorsement of Richmond FC President L. Langton, that for the 1945/46 season, Blackheath and Richmond put their combined playing strength into one team.

FACT: Oldest ‘open’ rugby club means membership was open to anyone, not those attending, or old boys from, a particular institution (e.g. a school, university or hospital).

 

And a letter addressed to club members in March 1945, as seen above, which also appeared in the Sunday Times on 14 January, outlined the difficulties that had to be surmounted before Blackheath could resume its activities.

It urged readers to donate what they could to the club, for repairs, new equipment and general maintenance, as well as for reserves that would help tie them over during the initial re-opening period.

It was for these reasons, and on the endorsement of Richmond FC President L. Langton, that for the 1945/46 season, Blackheath and Richmond put their combined playing strength into one team.

AltText

THE GREAT ESCAPE

A minute silence was held before the commencement of the match in memory of respective club members who fell during the war, and among those playing for Richmond-Blackheath were some notable men.

There was A. Smith and R. Jennens - both of whom spent three years in Germany as prisoners of war - and Douglas James Piper or ‘Peter’ as he was more commonly known, a patriarch of Blackheath who would go on to play until 1966, when he was club president. In later years his name would adorn the reconstructed grandstand at Rectory Field.

But perhaps the most noteworthy to play that day was Flight Lieutenant Tony Bethell, one of 76 Air Force officers to break out of Stalag Luft lll during the night of the ‘Great Escape’.

His story was unknown to those who shared a pitch with him 74 years ago, in fact Bethell’s actions didn’t come to light until much later, when a TV programme called 'Life Behind the Wire' aired detailing his experiences.

On the eve of 24 March 1944, Bethell was burrowed 28ft underground, stationed at the second halfway house – named Leicester Square – of the 365ft ‘Harry’ tunnel.

His job was to pull through 20 men before being relieved of his duties by escaper number 65, and wait outside the wire for a further nine men. The alarm was raised at approximately 5am however, after the discovery of the tunnel, and Bethell’s group were forced to split up.

Snow prevented the RAF pilot from heading to the Czech border 40 miles away, and Sweden – via Frankfurt – was his alternative. Bethell was caught in Benau however, and returned to a prisoner camp where he waited out the end of the war. 

AltText

THE 1945-46 SEASON

Richmond-Blackheath versus Northampton was the first of a busy 1945/46 schedule spanning 15 fixtures.

When playing at the Athletic Ground, C. Laborde - the Richmond captain - would lead the team in a bid to keep club identity at home. Whilst for away fixtures, a Blackheath player would be given the honour, although there was no consistency in who did so.

At the end of the season, thanks to a haul of volunteers, the RFU and Kent County Cricket Club, Blackheath were able to resume business under their own banner on 28 September 1946, with a match against Guy's Hospital.

AltText

THE BEST OF RIVALS

Since their first game against each other in 1864 Blackheath and Richmond’s history has been intertwined, their relationship is unique in rugby circles, and having already shared a team, pitch, clubhouse and league, it’s one that looks set to continue for many years to come.

"We look forward to welcoming Richmond to Well Hall after a three season break in competitive fixtures, to resume the oldest club fixture in the world,” said Blackheath President Alan Thompson.

“The rivalry between the two clubs dates back 155 years – no other clubs have been playing each other for so long. It will be a great day and we hope to see some very entertaining rugby played."

Blackheath and Richmond’s relationship is unique in rugby circles, and having already shared a team, pitch, clubhouse and now league again, it’s one that looks set to continue for many years to come.